Making it Through WinterBy
Photo of our local wetlands in winter by Brea Dargis
I was wondering if you might write a little more about how to make it through the rest of winter? I struggle every winter after the holidays. It’s still dark and cold and all the christmas lights are down, family is gone, comfort foods are tempting. I exercise regularly, strive to get sunlight daily, but don’t feel as though I have anything to look forward to until spring arrives.
Winter has been harder for me than it used to be since my son was killed on a snowy February day. Some times we associate a season with a hard time, trauma or bad memories. I don’t know if that is what happens with you, but it helps to write things out, or use dance, art or music as a way of letting stuck emotions out.
I like to remember that each season has its own joys and comforts. I add them to my plans for the week or tuck them into the calendar.
- Have a reading night, where there is no electronics and you cuddle in with blankets and a book.
- Find an outdoor activity that can be fun in winter. Walks in the snow, snowball fights, building snow forts, skiing, snow-shoeing, ice skating.
- Quiet nights by a fire. We don’t have a fireplace so make do with a space heater.
- Good hot cocoa – even better if you make your own
- A warm bath in the evening
- Honey or cinnamon sugar toast
- Citrus – tangerines, blood oranges, ruby red grapefruit
- Lighting candles
- Warming oil before massaging your shoulders or face
- Puttering around the house making things more cozy
- Get out at noon if possible when the sun is brighter
- Get some flowers once in awhile, even cheap grocery store flowers can brighten things up
- Winter is a wonderful time to burrow in – do some knitting, writing, or something else creative
- Get extra sleep
- Catching up on TV shows on DVD with the family
- Put on some music and write real letters to people you love
- Make snowflakes
- Plan a valentine’s tea
What pleasures do you enjoy in winter? Can you plan for any this week?
You can find similar articles below
- Silent Night
- Gifts of Your Life
- Weekly Simplicity Tips
- What Do You Love?
- Are you enjoying this season?