It’s easy to feel overwhelmed and that we are already behind when we start a new year. We place more expectations on ourselves to buckle down and get it all done. Here are some tips to make it easier:
- Ask yourself if you are doing something out of obligation, as a should or if it really is a goal of yours.
- Notice when you start to feel self-pressure. Ask yourself how you can loosen up about this. Or how it can be easier. Or if it is as important as you are thinking it is.
- Narrow down projects and goals to 1-3 at a time so you can actually finish things.
- Plan your year, months, weeks and days even if it’s just jotting down a few things in your waiting time. Don’t be too structured with your planning. Allow for life’s flow.
- When you drift into zoning out, see if you can find actual self-care like a walk, meditation, prayer, drinking water or doing a dance.
- Cut down on social media time if it is affecting your goals and/or your mood.
- Don’t have every bit of downtime be attached to a device. Remember when you used to go to the bathroom, stand in line or wait at a stop sign without your phone? Our brains need a rest sometimes to just wander.
- Not sure what to do next? Haven’t listened to yourself in awhile? Try creating a check-in jar.
- Take a 1-5 breath pause between finishing something and starting something new, to appreciate what was done and get focused on the next thing.
- Get an accountability partner to share goals and progress. I also do email accountability if you’d like me as your accountability partner.
Wishing you a year of freedom, renewal and meaning!