I read a great article in Prevention Magazine, about why women have a tendency to nurture until they drop. It’s biological:
Compassion Syndrome. Nurturing to women, actually reduces stress. Up to a point. When women start doing too much for others, without taking time out, they get tired, cranky and irritable. They start going into an overwhelmed state.
Some tips they offered:
1. Notice the difference between compassion and co-dependency. Are you always rescuing someone, so they don’t learn from consequences?
2. Pay attention to when nurturing becomes overwhelming.
3. Don’t do things for people who can do things for themselves on a regular basis.
4. Hang out with your friends who are another great source for reducing stress
5. Practice compassion as a family- visiting the eldery, sending care packages, etc.