The truth is, we don’t know what will happen next year. We don’t know what wonderful things will come into our lives, what changes will happen in the world or what difficulties we might experience. We won’t anticipate things like the power going out on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day which happened to us this year.
Since we can’t predict the future, what can we do?
Strengthen ourselves and do the next right thing.
- Eat the best food for your body most of the time.
- Sleep 7-8 hours a night.
- Exercise at least 5 days a week even if it is just a 10 minute walk.
- Nurture your support system so you have people to call on when you need it and you can support them.
- Have a daily quiet time to nurture your spirit and center yourself – 5 minutes is better than nothing.
- Process your emotions through journaling or other means.
- Develop your character so it doesn’t matter as much what happens to you as it matters who you are.
- Declutter your home to make room for the new (keep an eye out for the next declutter challenge happening this month).
Do the Next Right Thing
“I TOOK A LONG, DEEP BREATH AND WONDERED AS USUAL, WHERE TO START. YOU START WHERE YOU ARE, IS THE SECRET OF LIFE. YOU DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING YOU CAN SEE. THEN THE NEXT.”
You know what the next right thing is. Will you get up or sleep in? Will you say that nice compliment you thought or will you let the opportunity pass? Will you look your kids in the eye when they talk to you or will you multitask to “get things done.” Will you eat that donut or the fruit? Will you buy that shirt you don’t need and that doesn’t fit in your closet or will you put it back? Will you put people first or work first?
And if you don’t know what your next right thing is? Choose out of spirit – choices based on love and truth. Choose from how you want to live and who you want to be. Get beyond the lies and rationalizations you tell yourself. Most of the time if you listen, you do know what the next right thing is.
Who do you want to be this year, no matter what happens? How can you strengthen yourself so you are up for whatever life brings? What is the next right thing for you to do?