Over the weekend we got a new fire safe box. The old one got too full and the lock broke. So I spend some time in “preparing for emergency” mode.
As I was putting files and documents into the new box I realized the “in case of emergency” document was very out of date. Since I take care of the bills and paperwork, if I were to be incapacitated my husband wouldn’t know what to do with some of them.
I updated the document with:
- All our accounts
- When and how to pay the bills
- What bills are automatic, when they come out and which card
- Insurance info
- A scan of all the cards in my purse in case it’s ever stolen
- What rewards cards we have
- The Amazon prime and other logins/passwords
- The location of tax and mortgage papers
- In case of emergency – who to contact. Since I run an online business lots of people would be wondering where I am if I just drop off.
- What needs to be done business-wise and kid-wise
I also put on my calendar to update the inventory which is also very out of date. Now I have on my calendar a recurring date to update the emergency document and inventory.
Wondering which is better, a safe or a safety deposit box for you? Unclutterer has a great article on it.
Are you prepared?