One of the big reasons people lives don’t seem simple, is the lack of looking ahead.
Is it more relaxing to fill up the tank one evening or go to the gas station, wait in line, on the way to work in the morning?
Is it easier to plan a weekly menu and get your groceries at once or think about what you want for dinner every night at 5pm?
Is it more fun to plan for a day off on the weekend or let another Sunday be filled with work and chores?
One of my clients just got a calendar that he can see the week and month ahead with. It’s making a big difference already.
If you set aside time at the beginning of the week to look ahead, you can solve many problems with less effort.
- Look at your appointments for the next week. Anything you need to prep for?
- Look at the upcoming deadlines in the next month. Can you do anything for these projects now?
- Do you have to save money for an insurance payment, vacation or a fridge that is on the fritz?
- What days will you need extra quick meals?
- If you are going to be by the post office this week, can you take your library books if it’s nearby?
Don’t wait for your phone to beep at you to let you know what you need to do. Plan ahead and see how much more breathing space you get.