This weekend I went to my grandparent’s 60th wedding anniversary party with 180 of their closest friends and family. How does one make it married to the same person for 60 years? And not just married, but happily married. They still laugh, talk and act affectionately every day.
My aunt said a speech in which she summarized how they made their marriage work.
1. Keep your eyes open before you are married. Make sure you know their faults beforehand because you can’t change them afterwards.
2. Overlook annoyances (like Grandma leaving her purse everywhere and Grandpa never making decisions)
3. Have fun together. My grandparents travel all the time, go camping, do church activities together, socialize with friends, read and do lots of fun things together.
4. Show respect and love towards each other. They may argue, but they never disrespect each other. There isn’t name calling and nastiness in their relationship.
5. Have faith. They show gratitude, charity, hospitality, kindness and love. And they know where all their abundance comes from.
Happy anniversary Grandma and Grandpa!