We are still paying off our car that we bought new and that lost tons of value just getting off the lot. We won’t make that mistake again. We will go back to buying used cars. We are buying more things used than ever before.
Why is buying used a good choice?
- It’s less expensive
- You can afford to get better quality
- It’s better for the environment because it saves production resources, causes less pollution and doesn’t have as much packaging
- If you buy local, you are supporting the local community
- You can find interesting stories straight from the seller
Katy talks about her experience with the Compact, where she stopped buying non-essentials new in January of ’07 and tells of perks of buying secondhand:
How to buy secondhand
- Here is the 10 step guide to buying a used laptop
- And how to buy a used car
- How to buy used textbooks
- Buying used electronics
- How to buy a great used bicycle
- Buying a used musical instrument
- Shopping for furniture
- Tips on buying used clothing
Where to buy used?
- Find a local Freecycle group: Freecycle Network . Learn How to Freecycle
- Pick your closest city at Craigslist . Find out how to Craigslist Better
- Ask friends and family if they have what you are looking for or knows someone who does
- Garage sales and be a smart yard sale shopper
- Thrift stores
- Consignment shops
- Ebay – most of our purchases this year have been through ebay: How to buy something on ebay
- Used books at half.com or a local used book store
- Keep an eye on signs at grocery store bulletin boards and the like
Trade or borrow
You don’t necessarily have to buy at all. We borrow the rototiller we only need twice a year, and our tools are always being lent out. Books are passed around with family and friends. Show yourself responsible and people will lend to you. But, remember if you forget to return something or destroy something without compensation your borrowing days may be over.
- Trade books at BookMooch.com
- You can swap DVD’s and CD’s at Swaptree
- Host a clothing (or any other swap for that matter) or check out this swap site: Swap Thing
- And learn how to barter for your business : Barter a strategic tool in the new economy
- Or how to barter for everything
What are you thinking of purchasing, that you would usually buy new? Can you think of a different way to get that item?
Photo credit: female trumpet