Free Summer Fun
Summer is for fun – when we aren’t working, we can at least pretend to be in vacation mode.
Smoky Mountains, TN
But, it doesn’t have to cost a fortune like an amusement park. Here’s some free summer fun:
- Write, call or chat with a friend.
- See if there are free concerts in the park in your area.
- Go swimming in a lake with no entrance fees.
- Go on a picnic – take what you were going to make for lunch or dinner to a nearby park.
- Watch the stars – get skymaps.com.
- Cool off at the library. Most have summer reading programs going on. Ours has it for adults too.
- Color, draw or paint if you have the supplies.
- Go for a hike or walk.
- Bike a new trail if you have a bike.
- Learn the local flowers, plants and animals.
- Build a sandcastle.
- Go to the airport and watch the planes take off and guess where they are going.
- Take walks at night with friends or family.
- Some movie theaters offer free movies. Check your theater web site for days and time.
- Play Kick the Can or Ghost in the Graveyard.
- Check your paper for local festivals that are free. Zevents.com shows local events, some that are free.
- If you have the equipment – roller blade, croquet, badminton or volleyball.
- Play with the toys you have – bubbles, hula hoop, water guns, remote control cars. I am sure we all have toys that rarely get played.
- Many towns have Art in the Park where local artists display their artwork.
- See a sunset.
- Walk the boardwalk and people watch.
- Feed the ducks some stale bread.
- Make your own popsicles.
- Read outside.
- Check out which museums have free museum day.
- Play at the park.
- Go on a picture taking walk.
- Play board games or card games.
- Catch fireflies and set them free again.
What is your favorite free summer fun?