"Happiness is not a destination; it is a method of life." – Burton Hills
Are you waiting until all your goals are completed to be happy? You lose 20 pounds? Your home is immaculate? The kids are doing their chores and getting good grades?
You can be happy right now. Even if you are feeling overweight, surrounded by piles and no one is doing what you ask.
You don’t have to feel happy all the time, but if you find yourself dragging day after day with a litany of complaints it might be time to see things differently. It might be time to open your eyes to friends and family that love you. A warm home during a snowstorm. An abundance of food in the pantry. Being able to pick up the phone or email someone across the world. Work or the possibility of creating an even better work life.
See what is great right in this moment. Too often we waste energy worrying about the future or regretting the past and we contaminate our now.
You can create your own happiness:
- Really listen to the people around you and connect with them.
- Take a moment every day to look up in the sky or enjoy nature.
- Listen to uplifting music as you do paperwork.
- Say thank you.
- Quit judging every situation and person.
- Assume the best instead of assuming the worst.
- When you want to complain think about one good thing about the situation or person.
- When you are in a vent fest with a group of people, walk away or change the subject.
- Watch as little news as you can.
- Talk to an elderly person about their life.
- Sing in the car.
- Watch your thoughts and change them if they seem stuck in negative mode.
- Remember if it is always "someone else’s fault", there is little you can do to change the situation. Regain your power and happinesss by thinking of ways you can change & improve the situation.
Life is so full of beauty and adventure and possibility. Don’t get stuck waiting for happiness.