How to Survive a 14 Hour Workay
Last week was full of long hours for a project I was working on with someone. Thursday ended up being 14 hours. When I told a friend that this weekend she said I must have been exhausted. That’s when I realized, I didn’t become exhausted that day. Here are some tips to get through a 14 hour day.
- If these are the norms, work on figuring out how to lesson your hours. Can you manage up by asking your boss what is coming up so you can prepare ahead of time? I don’t think working 14 hours every day is healthy.
- Exercise first thing to give you energy during the day. I took a short 20 min walk around the pond in the morning.
- Center yourself. Breathe, pray, meditate. Get your head and heart on straight before diving into work.
- Take lots of breaks. I took 5 minutes every 30-90 minutes. To walk around, straighten up, read a magazine article, breathe, talk to the kids, stand outside and look at the flowers. This kept my energy up all day.
- Eat lunch away from the desk. I had a short 10 minute lunch. But, I ate it outside in the sunshine.
- Have your family pitch in for dinner. I knew there was no way I could get dinner on the table that day. So my husband and daughter got dinner ready.
- Don’t let thoughts like, “I shouldn’t be working these long hours. This is ridiculous. I don’t want to be working.” drain your energy. The more you resist what is happening, the more your energy fades away. Concentrate on what you are doing, wherever you are. Then later if you want to work out a plan so you don’t have to work so long next time, go for it.
Do you have any tips for long work days?