Keeping It Jolly
When it becomes busy time, self-care is usually the first thing to go. This is one of those busy times for most people. So by the time the holiday comes, we are tired or sick. Or Grinch-like.
I know I’ve been sick on quite a few holidays. Simplifying Christmas has been so helpful for lessening the stress.
And this year, I decided instead of lessening my self-care, I would amp it up.
I paid for a punch card at our local community recreation to incentivise making it to exercise classes. I only have so much time to use up those punches or I lose money. I’ve been making it about three times a week. I am having so much fun with Zumba. Exercise is a great stress reliever. Then I do weights and yoga at home other days. If you don’t have that much time you can fit in these mostly 15 min. workouts: http://www.youtube.com/befit
I am also letting myself sleep as long as I need to until I wake up naturally. I get more done when well rested. If you can’t sleep in longer due to kids or work, you can go to bed earlier or take a nap.
My goal is to eat 7 fruits and vegetables a day. At least 3, I get through a morning homemade smoothie.
Other ways to add self-care to the holiday season:
- Read an advent reading or inspirational reading daily
- Schedule and take downtime after a big shopping or cooking day. I’ll bet a massage or long bath would feel fantastic!
- Enjoy the fun parts of the season – looking at lights, Christmas carols, movies/TV specials, the smell of pine, connecting with loved ones
- Ask for help with the chores
- Schedule stay at home evenings
- Say no
- Keep checking in with yourself to see what you are feeling, if you are stressed and what you need
The lies we tell ourselves are we don’t have time, it all HAS to be done, and we can’t take time for ourselves. But, we can take care of ourselves, enjoy the holiday and get things done. We get to choose what it is that we want.
If you want to take care of yourself, you will have to plan for it. Otherwise it probably isn’t happening.
Photo by: Janet
(affiliate link as I think you’d like it)