Decorating isn’t one of my favorite parts of Christmas but I like how it looks when it is festive. So I have simplified my decorating. Besides replacing some Christmas balls last year I haven’t gotten new decorations in at least 4 years.
Some simple ideas:
- Put Christmas books on plate racks
- Use Christmas balls – I have some hanging up, one in a plant, on door handles, in a large glass dish, in candle holders in the kitchen, on a geode holder in the bathroom, in a bowl in the office.
- Use nature – pinecones, fruit, flowers, cinnamon. This page has great use of natural objects, I especially love the Noel Room.
- Put what is most important to you this season front and center. For us it is the nativity scene.
- Candles all over to make things bright
- We took some decorations off our wooden shelf in the living room and replaced them with those old, heavy, snow globes (the pictures are my great-grandparents)
- Bowls of old fashioned hard candy (for those with no toddlers)
- Keep most of the decorations in the box, except your favorites (better yet, declutter them)
- Decorate by color – this year it was red and gold, so I was able to find these colors around the house like a big red mug filled with caramels. Another year it was country blue and red. Another year it was burgundy and gold.
- Driftwood and stars if you don’t have room for a tree: http://sweetpaul.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/12/holiday-countdown-dec-6th.html
- I love this Scandanavian Christmas
Do you have any simple decorating tips?