Simplify for the Environment
Note: This post is my contribution to Blog Action Day, joining thousands of other bloggers to write about one topic for a single day. This year’s topic is the environment.
Most people are concerned about the environment, but in people’s busy lives it is easy to put caring for the environment below more “urgent” concerns. But each of us can make small changes that impact the world. I see more and more people taking action and through this action we will see a better environment.
Here are some changes I have made, and see if they are things you could do:
- Using environmentally friendly cleaners
- Working from home – no commute
- Walking or biking when possible
- Bringing our egg cartons back to the farmer’s son that sells us brown eggs so they can reuse
- Getting as much local food as possible so less fuel for the commute
- Fixing things that have broken and then we don’t have to buy a new one
- Taking good care of our things so they last
- Buying things used
- Bringing our canvas bag to the stores so we don’t need as many bags
- Thinking before buying something
- A month long spending fast each year
- Replacing our iridescent light bulbs with fluorescent
- Buying many foods that are organic
- Living in a small, older home
Next up: Learning about good for the environment cosmetics and cooking more from scratch
What are some things you are doing for the environment or plan to do?