O thou who passest through our valleys in
Thy strength, curb thy fierce steeds, allay the heat
That flames from their large nostrils! Thou, O Summer,
Oft pitchest here thy golden tent, and oft
Beneath our oaks hast slept, while we beheld
With joy thy ruddy limbs and flourishing hair.
– William Blake To Summer
Why is it that by late August we are saying, “Where did the summer go? I wanted to get to the beach…go on a picnic…visit my grandparents.” This year let’s try to plan our summer beforehand and mark days in our calendar so we will remember them. Picture the best summer you’ve had in your head. Now let’s plan for another great summer.You can print off this Summer 2007 Checklist (it’s in PDF), get your calendar and plan for your best summer yet!
Here are some questions to get you started; they won’t apply to everyone, just use what works for you. You can put your answers on your Summer 2007 Checklist.
- When do you want to plan for your week or two of vacation? If you can’t take a whole week off can you find a few long weekend trips you can take?
- Is there anything you would like to teach your kids this summer?
- What do the kids want to do this summer?
- What types of outdoor activity do you enjoy that can serve as exercise? Do you like skating, hiking, beach walking or tennis?
- Are there any home improvement projects you want to work on now that it is warm enough to open the windows?
- Did you plan a day at the beach or an afternoon picnic?
- Who do you want to make a point of visiting this summer? When would you like to go?
- Do you have any gardening or landscaping plans?
- Is there a good weekend to have a romantic getaway with your spouse?
- What are you planning for the holidays: Father’s Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, birthdays and anniversaries?
- If you are a scrapbooker, are there any pictures you want to be sure to take this summer?
- Did you want to plan any visits to Grandma and Grandpa’s for the kids?
- Do you have all the summer gear you need? Swimsuits, picnic supplies, sunblock?
- Were there any classes or camps your kids wanted to go to?
- Are there any outdoor concerts, festival or art shows nearby? Check your local paper.
- What obligations will you drop this summer to make room for fun?
Now see what you can schedule into your calendar right now!