Working with piles surrounding you and clutter everywhere can be overwhelming. And moving those papers around wastes time. So how can you simplify your workspace.
- It isn’t necessary to take care of your desk all at once. Simplify your workspace for the first 15 minutes of your workday until you get your space how you want it. Working on it first gets you into a successful, more organized frame of mind to start your day. You feel more in control just by creating a little bit of order.
- Grab a piece of paper or a notebook. Make three columns labeled: daily, weekly, monthly. Write down everything on your desk you use daily under the daily column and so on. Chances are there are some things you rarely use that are taking prime position in your office. Move those things to the credenza, office supply closet or somewhere further away.
- Have one notebook for work. You can put in your to do lists, calls that come in, where you are in projects, meeting notes, and ideas that pop into your mind.
- Use desktop files/wall pockets for each of your active projects. This will keep piles off your desk. Keep a list of your current projects in your desk notebook. Other papers can go into your tickler file if needed on a certain day.
- Set up action folders (to do, to pay, to copy, to reconcile) to sort your inbox. Not everyone will have the same action folders. It depends on your work. Ask yourself what you do with the papers that come in. Some people are afraid of not doing what is in the action folders. You can make a notation in your planner if you are afraid of forgetting about something.
- Throw out your pens that don’t work or the pens you don’t like so you never use. I had some pens I got free but skipped terribly in my mug that I didn’t use for years.
- Clean out your supply drawer/area where the paper clips, stapler, tape, etc. is stored. Throw out the useless junk. Put extra supplies in a supply closet or a box on top of the file cabinet.
- Keep a little self care box for treats, brush, pantyhose, a small book or whatever you might need for a quick break or small emergency.
- Hide your wires using this HGTV trick.
- Create a daily habit of putting your papers away and clearing off your desk before leaving.
"If you knew how much work went into it, you wouldn’t call it genius."