More and more of us are spending almost all their time indoors. And our kids are not getting out into nature as much as we did as kids. I remember spending most of my summer outside. This lack of nature is not good for us since connecting with nature is so nurturing. Nature reduces stress and makes you feel connected to something bigger than yourself. It wakes up your senses.
Yellow flowers from our nature walk the other day
Here are some ways to step out of nature deprivation:
- Use the internet to find local trails to hike at least once a week
- Plant a garden or at least a few flowers
- Go to your local fairs and see the produce displays and farm animals
- Pick strawberries, apples, your own pumpkin, etc at Pick Your Own farms
- Learn local birds and plants
- Go to the beach
- Have electronic turn out times where you can outside as a family
- Take your kids to the park
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt where you look for things like a red bird, a ladybug, a mushroom
- Take an evening walk after dinner
- Get out into the country and see the stars
- Catch and release frogs, salamanders or fireflies
When can you fit a little nature into your life and your family’s life this week?